21.11.13

Reading



It’s that time of year that the woolly slipper socks come out of hiding, there’s a national hot chocolate demand and we all snuggle down under the duvet with a good book! I love reading anyway, I do it all the time everywhere. That’s why and how I learnt to read Thai when I was living there; I couldn’t bear to not be able to read every single thing on a menu, or on the back of a packet or on the signs of shops. I’m a read-aholic and always have been!




But anyway, this blog was inspired by a poem written and performed by Mark Grist, whose youtube video has gone kind of viral. It is called Girls Who Read and has caused a bit of an uproar amongst feminists. Some say it’s sexist some say it’s pro-feminist. But whatever, I just take it at face value and love how sweet he is in the video, talking about how all he wants is a girl who can hold her own and shares his literary interests.

Are you a read-aholic too? If you are then London is definitely the place for you!
There is literature everywhere. Quirky bookshops and stalls, poetry on the tube and regular events at the capital’s libraries. How about poetry slams, book signings and floors and floors of all kinds of books in Foyles? (I love Foyles, it’s my second home!)





Then there are the various sites showing Londoners reading on public transport. Which I adore. Maybe you’ll all see me on one of those sites one day! Creepy AND cool! Here are a couple of lovely pics I’ve chosen from the Londonist of people reading around the city…









I also stumbled upon this really cute site called http://awesomepeoplereading.tumblr.com/

Here’s my favourite photo of an awesome person reading from this site…





Ah, Tom Hardy. And my favourite photo of a famous person in general life…






So hunker down for the winter! Stack those books around you in a crazy home-made library/fort and munch your way through the classics, the new releases, the best ofs and anything else you can get your hands on. Nothing gets you through winter like a good book.





Bubble Post by Laura C. Phillips for Les2coquettes