14.12.13

The Rise of the Funny Female


Funny women. They seem to be a modern phenomenon. There were one or two very funny women before on par with men (like Victoria Wood or Dawn French), the rest tended to be self-deprecating or joking only about tampons and husbands. And weren’t really funny. But now, they’ve landed. The laughing lady, the hysterical her, the funny female. Shock horror! A funny female.

So to celebrate the liberation of women’s funny bones, the awkward women, the clumsy girls, the witty, sharp women who make us laugh, I’ve brought together some of my favourite funny quotes from female comedians and actresses to make your day a little brighter.


Miranda Hart – posh, food based humour at its best.
“A savoury muffin?! Life is full of enough disappointments!”




Mindy Kaling – the lovable, silly, slightly smothering doctor in her own show ‘The Mindy Project’. She just wants to find love dammit!
“I say if you love something, set it in a small cage and pester and smother it with love until it either loves you back or dies.”



Sarah Millican – our favourite Geordie with plenty of hilarious gems of family advice.
“My mum gave me some advice when buying an apartment; don’t get one with a balcony, what with living on your own there’ll be a high suicide risk.”





Kristen Wiig – ‘Bridesmaids’, what more can I say?
“Stove, what kind of name is that? Are you an appliance?”





Zooey Deschanel – big eyed, ditsy, very eccentric, it’s New Girl’s Jess!
“My boobs are loving this unemployed thing. They don’t have to go to boob jail every day!”




Melissa McCarthy – my favourite funny lady of the moment. Sharp, quick, brilliant one-liners just flow from her every pore. She just doesn’t give a crap.
“I’m glad he’s single, coz I’m gonna climb that like a tree.”



Shappi Khorsandi – Iranian-British, lots of cross-culture jokes to bring a jovial tear to the eye.
“It’s no fun being a broody Iranian woman. Every time I said to people my body clock is ticking, they’d hit the ground.”




Lena Dunham – creator of hit phenomenon Girls. Unashamed, unapologetic, comedy genius.
“It’s like ‘sorry I passed an STD on to you, but I really enjoy your quirky web presence.”