6.10.14

A TODDLER SIZED CHEESECAKE



Occasionally you have a day when you just really really REALLY need a dessert.  I am a woman with many weaknesses, the largest of which is almost maybe definitely one-hundreed-percent cheesecake.  For my 21st birthday, instead of going out and getting wasted and feasting on a huge number of chips and takeaway pizza on my intoxicated way, back to my college room, like everyone else seemed to do, I had a cheesecake party.  Yes - I like to think I invented this fine party tradition.  Take it from me, there really is nothing better than sitting in a room with good friends, good chat and good quantities of double chocolate and Malteaser cheesecake.



Yesterday, Cumbria was met with beautifully Cumbrian weather.  I looked out the window at 8 o’clock in the morning and was wondering whether it was an apocalypse or I’d just overslept into some later part of the evening.  With all the misery, falling in raindrop form from the big black clouds over my house, I decided: “You know what?!  This warrants a dinner party.”It didn’t take too long for my mind to make the jump from “You know what every good dinner party needs?  A damn good cheesecake.”Being a bit of a cheesecake aficionado, and a bit of a rebel chef, I decided to try and invent my own using the remnants of a BBC Good Food Recipe (find here:http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/11289/white-chocolate-berry-cheesecake) crossed with a Fraiser cake (an incredibly tasty and wonderful cake I drooled over on a Bake Off repeat earlier in the week).  So, take a lot of cream, a lot of Phili, a lot of sugar and mix it up in a 1970s Kenwood that you’re still surprised is working.  Obviously the Kenwood part is completely optional.  Any more functional electric mixers are highly recommended).




Compile this creamy-cheesey-fat-inducing mix with layers of jam and fresh raspberries on top of a buttery, biscuit base.  Wait nervously for hours upon end, wondering whether your dinner party is going to be a massive flop as the cheesecake fails to hold any form, and simply spills on to the dinner plate like a naive fresher on their first night out, or holds a firm and fine figure that is the envy of everyone around the dinner table.

I left the cheesecake in the fridge for 6 hours, praying.  I’m not sure which of these acts was more beneficial to its eventual integrity.  Combined with the worry of setting, I started to worry, as I usually do before entertaining new people, whether I’d done something bizarre with the constituent ingredients that would result in me poisoning my guests.  Fortunately there aren’t many ways you can go wrong with such tasty ingredients.  I had picked up a bit of “strawberry art” from a fancy friend at University, and when something looks good, you expect it to taste good.  And that’s half the battle won in my opinion.



So turned out my cheesecake.  Messy, gooey and good.  Exactly as a cheesecake should be.  So it wasn’t refined.  I am sure Michel Roux Junior would turn his nose up at it, saying it was slightly grotesque in its size and calorie content.  A bit messy around the edges.  Paul Hollywood would say something along the lines of it being poor in form, something about it missing the finesse the design required. Mary Berry would be happy with the quantities of butter, disappointed with the quantities of booze in it, but otherwise, I would hope she would say, with the wry smile that she gives bakers that she has a soft spot for, “that’s scrummy”.



Never someone to have EVER had enough cheesecake, I am always looking for crazy recipes to lend a hand at.  Please feel free to comment any you’d like me to give a hand at, or in fact, any you’d like me to invent.  I’m thinking marmite cheesecake…?

Yours Cheesily,

Sophie


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------







Hello!  I’m Sophie - lover of coast, country and all things baked and smothered in icing.
Recent university graduate and bumbling my way through the life of an employed editor.