17.10.14

MY READING LIST FOR FALL




I don't know about you but when fall is coming, the cold with it, and the lazy sundays at home around the chimney (or the radiator if you live in the city just like me and not in a big mansion in the middle of the beautiful british countryside) with your Ikea plaid and a warm cup of tea, what I like to do, is read. I mean, who doesn't love fall ? the leaves, the colour of the trees, the cold (ok maybe not the cold) but the smell and taste of pumpkin soup and Christmas coming soon !
Do I sound like a grandmother ? come on, reading is not old school, reading is cool.

In order to do that properly, I first need a big, good book that I can spend hours immersed in every words of it, everybody knows that feeling when you just can't stop reading because you love it too much. But the thing is that when it come to choose which book to read, which clothes to wear, which pastries to eat or wich guy to date, I can be very, very hesitant. 
That's why this year, I decided to make a « to-read list » and because I'm a nice person (always) I'm going to share it with you.

I'm watching a lot of tv series and particularly those lead by a charismatic women. I've always been inspired by the strong, independant and succesful actresses, writer, director and producer who makes us feel good, and give us a different and modern definition of what it's like to be a women on screen in 2014.
So naturally, for my reading list, I selected a few books written by womens (for womens) that I admire and that you may know by their talented career on the big or small screen. 


First stop, is the 28 years old crazy talented Lena Dunham, who's best known for her HBO's successful serie «Girls». Dunham is an actress, writer, producer and the director of her own show but she also quickly became someone to follow, not only on social media, but also throughout her entire professional career and the different causes she stand for, feminism on top of it.
Last month she released her first book «Not that kind of girl : A young woman tells you what she learned», if you want to know more about it her website is full of good critics and excerpt of the few essays she put in the book : lenadunham.com 



Next, is one of my personal hero, the brilliant Mindy Kaling. Also, actress, writer and producer of her own show «The Mindy Project», full of referencees for girls to relate with and hilarious situation that we've all been in. Mindy Kaling is what every modern women should be, successful, talented and funny. In 2011 she released her second book, a comic memoir, «Is everyone hanging out with me ? (and other concerns)», she talks about her life and career, but also a bit about her friends, family and relationships. Kaling once said «I feel the same way about clothes as I do about food, I want everything», which girl doesn't relate to that ?



Last stop is Amy Poehler, from actress to producer, to Golden Globes host, Poehler is best known for being during 7 years in the «Saturday night live» cast but also for her most recent show «Parks and Recreation». Poehler is one of the funniest women in her profession, her success on the small and big screen is definitely the proof of that, and if you type her name in Pinterest you'll get a thousands of hilarious quotes from her.
On the 28th of October her first book «Yes Please» will be released and honestly I just can't wait to read the memoir of a women we should all be inspired by. 

These 3 womens regularly talks about the portrayals of women in television, body issues in Hollywood and what it is like to be a women in the power seats. They have in common their independance and success in a industry still most lead by mens, they stand for women rights and feminism and are not affraid to speak their minds, they are not scared of going beyond the pale.
Those are all the reasons these womens are a constant inspiration for me, and why I literally can't wait to read their book during a cold and rainy day, with my large sweater on, a warm cup of tea, soft socks and a box of chocolate next to me. 


My order is on the way.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Hello ! My name is Coline, I'm passionate about cinema and aspiring to be a screenwriter. Always on for a culture related trip with my friends, I also enjoy baking the finest desserts and Lip-sync contests are my favorite game.