27.10.14

THE YOUNG AND THE OLD


The week for so many people is filled with activities that require you to act older than you actually feel.  I for one definitely don’t feel, or probably act, old enough to warrant me having a proper job that proper adults to do.  I attend meetings, write and read emails, publish books and talk about the education system when, quite honestly, I am still confused by what it is to not live at home and how I am going to make my own way in life.


For many people, the week is about running around and keeping up.  Fitting bills, getting to work on time, arriving home in the dark only to have to go to bed in order to get enough sleep to function for another day of trying to keep up in the rat race.  When you get to a certain age, people stop asking you about your pets, your favourite colours and whether you’d like jelly or ice cream with your slice of birthday cake.  Instead, people will question you about your political views, what you think about the UK or whether you’ve paid off your mortgage or not.  All valid questions, all with their place I grant you.  But really?  On a saturday…? In the evening…? Really?

No.

Outside the hours of 9 to 5:30, I downright refuse to be the age I am, but I would rather act the way I feel.  This doesn’t mean I’m going to throw tantrums in coffee shops, eat sweets that I find on the floor or fall asleep in inappropriate public places.  Instead, it means that I’m going to love fun for funs sake.  Not the sort of fun that comes from playing an iPhone game, getting a like on twitter or getting wasted on a night out.  No, the sort of fun that comes from going to a zoo, eating an obscene amount of cake at a coffee shop and going on a deserted zip wire at a playground.


I spent this weekend in Manchester where I visited Chester zoo.  For me this was an incredible thing - there was a monorail for goodness sakes.  A MONORAIL?!  What better thing could there possibly be than travelling a camouflage train compartment over exhibits of okapi, cheetahs and elephants.  Children of about 12 clutched their digital cameras and spending more time looking at their iPhones than at rare animals and chimpanzees jumping around their enclosures.  

Later in life you will have enough time to check your phone, keep in touch with friends who disperse off the country for jobs like seeds on the wind.  Seize the now and seize the weekend and seize the inner child with in you.  Take just 10 minutes a day, put down your phone, turn off your television or laptop, and have just that 10 minutes of time pretending you’re 10 again.  Whether that’s playing snap, having a day dream or eating a yoghurt without a spoon - release the inner child.



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Hello!  I’m Sophie - lover of coast, country and all things baked and smothered in icing.
Recent university graduate and bumbling my way through the life of an employed editor.