16.12.14

SONG OF THE WEEK: “THE LAST GOODBYE” by BILLY BOYD


Saturday night was the end of an era for me.  For over a decade or so there’s been a Tolkien film to look forward to.  I have just seen the epic conclusion to "The Hobbit" trilogy - "The Battle of the Five Armies" and now I really don't know what to do with myself.  Since having read the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings at the age of about 12, it has been my 'thing'. From playing Lord of the Rings trivial pursuit on Boxing Day with my equally fanatic cousin, to dressing up as Legolas on World Book Day, I've been a big bit obsessed.




I can’t pass an impartial view on the film as I am a Tolkienite and am blind by my love of Middle Earth.  The film would have had to be truly rubbish for me to have been able to skate it, and let's face it, with Peter Jackson behind the lens that was never going to happen.
After 2.5 hours of fighting, crying, fighting, dying, fighting (there's a lot of fighting) and orcing around, the film reaches the closing credits with this beautiful song.
You may recognise the innocent, Scottish tones of Billy Boyd from the Return of the King.  Billy Boyd, a.k.a Pippin sings “The Steward of Gondor/The Edge of Night”, a Shire song to Denathor who has just sent his son Faramir out from Minas Tirith to reclaim Osgiliath which has been taken by Orcs.  Sorry - that's my geeking out done with... I think.  Anyway, point being, adorable little Pippin has a lovely voice that is amazingly suited for these poignant songs within great and epic battles. 


"The Last Goodbye" does what it says on the tin.  It's the final credits of the final film, and the music is as much about the farewell seen between Bilbo and his fallen friends throughout "The Battle of the Five Armies" as it is about the goodbye between the cast members, who I am sure have formed equally strong bonds through filming this epicly-scaled franchise.
This song is centred around some of the familiar lilts of Howard Shore's soundtrack that flows through the double trilogy.  The instrumentals from Billy Boyd's guitar and a full piece orchestra blend seamlessly to create a poignant and beautiful song.

By the time the credits of "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" I had already been crying for a good half an hour or so.  By the time this song had finished, I was pretty much an inconsolable mess, crying into my popcorn.



Sophie

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------





Hello!  I’m Sophie - lover of coast, country and all things baked and smothered in icing.
Recent university graduate and bumbling my way through the life of an employed editor.